This Module is comprised of seven sessions.
4.1 The Challenges of Word-Level Reading
Learning IntentionsAfter viewing this module session participants will be able to:
- Describe the difference between word identification and word recognition
- Identify the challenges involved in developing word-level reading
Watch the session below.
- Word identification and word recognition can be distinguished from one another
- Word recognition assumes you already know a word while word identification does not presume that
- Skilled readers have a large pool of know words they draw from when they read, known as a sight-word vocabulary or orthographic lexicon
Reflect & Connect
ways you and the others have tried to get students to remember the words they
read. How well have those efforts worked? Did they work better with some
students than others?