This module is comprised of one session.
7.1 Assessing Letter-Sound Skills and Phonics Skills
After viewing this module session participants will be able to:
- Indicate the importance of assessing nonsense word reading
- Describe two different ways of assessing nonsense word reading
- Identify concerns and caveats in assessing phonics skills
Watch the session below.
*Please see the Transcripts resource folder located in Module 0 for a text copy of the transcript from this video.
- Phonics skills are essential for reading an alphabet-based written language
- Nonsense word reading is our best assessment of phonic decoding skills
- Nonsense word reading is an great way to assess the “underpinnings” of word reading development
- Nonsense word reading can be untimed or timed, and both types of assessment should be administered
Reflect & Connect
How have you used nonsense word reading subtests? Is there anything you might now do differently