Introduction to Reading Assessment; Assessment of Phonological Skills
6.3 Phonological Awareness and Blending Assessment
After viewing this module session participants will be able to:
- Determine what are useful tests of phonological awareness and blending
- Interpret results of phonological awareness and blending subtests
- Identify some of the problems with existing assessments of these skills
watch the session below.
*Please see the Transcripts resource folder located in Module 0 for a text copy of the transcript from this video.
- There are several tests available for phonemic blending and phonemic awareness/analysis
- Phonological blending and analysis should not be confused or combined
- Many struggling readers can blend phonemes by late second grade but continue to struggle in phoneme awareness/analysis
- Phoneme manipulation tasks are best at evaluating the phonemic proficiency that underlies skilled reading
Reflect & Connect
How have you been assessing phonemic blending and analysis? If you haven’t, what might you do differently?