Word Level Reading
4.2 Word Reading Development
Learning IntentionsAfter viewing this module session participants will be able to:
- Describe why phonological skills are central to learning to read an alphabet-based writing system
- Identify the development levels of phonological skills and word-reading skills and how they each contribute to the development of each other
Watch the session below.
*Please see the Transcripts resource folder located in Module 0 for a text copy of the transcript from this video.
- Alphabetic writing systems like English are based upon phonemes in spoken language
- Phonological skills underlie each aspect of word-reading development
- Exposure to an alphabetic writing system promotes phoneme-level skills in typically developing readers
Reflect & Connect
How might the different approaches to reading instruction inform your current work? What might you need to considers when communicating about reading instruction with families with colleagues?