Making Lectures Come Alive
8. Write More
Use writing and note taking strategies before during and after lectures to support student learning
When students have a piece of writing, give instructions on the writing to mark it up.
1. Highlight the main idea.
These are great to begin and end a lecture to check for understanding.
• Think about what you learned on a post it and stick it on the door as you leave.
• Give each student 3 index cards.
• Write these starters on each card:
Card 1: What? What have you learned about the topic?
• During the lecture or unit, periodically give students time to fill in their cards.
Fill In The Blanks
• Before the lecture, have a worksheet created that has important words missing.