The modules in this course collectively create a comprehensive course to support educators teaching health education. The goal of health education is for students to gain knowledge and become proficient in skills that will help them adopt and maintain healthy lives.
These modules will equip educators to develop skills around implementing high impact teaching strategies and effective health education practices. Each of the course modules below focuses on one important aspect of health education. The modules are set up to be viewed sequentially; however, they are self-contained, meaning there is flexibility to review the modules individually at your leisure. Information on receiving a certificate for hours completion of the modules can be found in the "Course Contact Hours Certificate of Completion" module. Modules have been created by Colorado health educators with support from the Colorado Education Initiative, and funding from the Colorado Health Foundation. If you have questions or feedback regarding the course or modules feel free to contact email@example.com.
Case studies have been used in business, law, and medical schools as teaching tools for many years. Case studies are a form of problem-based learning and are accessible across every age group, both in subject specific and interdisciplinary work. Case studies are stories that are used as a teaching tool to show the application of a theory or concept to real situation. Dependent on the goal they are meant to fulfill, cases can range from fact-driven and deductive where there is a correct answer, to a context driven case where multiple solutions are possible.
- Explore how case studies can be used to build health knowledge and skills.
1. What are the benefits to using case studies in health education?
2. After reviewing this module, what are some of the best practices around using case studies?
3. If you were using a case study in your classroom...
- What would the content be about?
- What skill might you be trying to assess student growth or practice in?
- Where would you get the case study?