Assessing Word Identification and Reading Fluency
8.2 Assessing Reading Fluency
After viewing this module session participants will be able to:
- Distinguish among different types of reading fluency assessments
- Interpret word reading fluency tasks relative to a student’s broader reading assessment profile
watch the session below.
*Please see the Transcripts resource folder located in Module 0 for a text copy of the transcript from this video.
- Reading fluency can be assessed at multiple levels: word, sentence, and paragraph; all of these are highly inter-correlated
- Reading fluency may be the only indication of a struggle in reading (it is typically the only indicator in consistent written languages like Spanish or Italian)
- Differing fluency subtests may be more useful at differing grade levels (e.g., early elementary vs. late elementary vs. secondary)
Reflect & Connect
What type of reading fluency tests have you used? How have you interpreted them?