Assessing Word Identification and Reading Fluency
8.1 Assessing Word Identification and Word Recognition
After viewing this module session participants will be able to:
- Distinguish between word identification and word recognition
- Describe the natural confounded that exists in untimed word identification tests
- Identify the benefits of timed and untimed tests of word-level reading
watch the session below.
*Please see the Transcripts resource folder located in Module 0 for a text copy of the transcript from this video.
- Word identification can occur via many routes, some are effortful
- Word recognition occurs with familiar words and is instant and effortless
- Word identification subtests confound instant recognition with strategic, effortful word reading
- At the elementary level, timed tests do a better job of estimating the size of the sight vocabulary than untimed tests
Reflect & Connect
How might the ability to distinguish between word recognition and word identification help you to assess for reading difficulties?