Current Approaches to Reading Instruction
2.1 A Very Brief History of Reading Instruction
Learning IntentionsAfter viewing this module session participants will be able to:
- Identify the four basic approaches to teaching reading
- Be familiar with the "unity of study" for these four approaches
Watch the session below.
*Please see the Transcripts resource folder located in Module 0 for a text copy of the transcript from this video.
- All the popular, current reading approaches go back well over 100 year
- To address weak readers, we need to move beyond the classic approaches
- Each reading philosophy approaches reading with a different unit of study
- None of the classical approaches adequately address the needs of struggling readers
Reflect & Connect
might the different approaches to reading instruction inform your current work?
What might you need to considers when communicating about reading instruction
with families with colleagues?