Module 5: Reading Comprehension
5.1 The Simple View of Reading
After viewing this module session participants will be able to:
how the Simple View of Reading helps us understand reading comprehension difficulties
- Determine if reading comprehension problems are
the result of word-reading problems, language problems, or both
watch the session below.
*Please see the Transcripts resource folder located in Module 0 for a text copy of the transcript from this video.
- Reading comprehension is based upon two broad skills, 1) word-level reading and 2) language comprehension
- When a student struggles in reading comprehension, it is useful to find out if that student would comprehend if the passage were read to him or her
- Some students struggle in reading comprehension based upon difficulties in language comprehension
- Skills in the limited vocabulary of “everyday
language” may mask a broader language deficit that may hinder reading