Word Level Reading
After viewing this module session participants will be able to:
- Identify the challenges faced by English Learners
- Describe the promise of teaching English Learners to Read
- Develop confidence regarding teaching English Learners word-level reading skills
watch the session below.
*Please see the Transcripts resource folder located in Module 0 for a text copy of the transcript from this video.
- English Learners face many challenges in school
- Word-Level reading is less challenging than reading comprehension
- Skills acquired in one language can be applied to the new language
- Phonological skills are roughly “transferable” from language to language
- Early on, ELs may function like hyperlexics
- As higher-level language skills grow, reading comprehension increases
Reflect & Connect
How are EL’s similar to native speakers in regards to the way they acquire word-level reading skills in English?