Current Approaches to Reading Instruction
2.2 Why Current Research Instruction Does Not Work Well for Struggling Learners
After viewing this module participants will be able to:
- Identify the classic approaches to teaching reading
- Understand why these classic approaches are typically not effective for nearly one third of the student population
Watch Session 2 below.
*Please see the Transcripts resource folder located in Module 0 for a text copy of the transcript from this video.
- The four classical approaches all go back before reading was study scientifically
- The classic approaches do not adequately address the needs of most of the bottom third of readers
- Research in the last 40 years has demonstrated the language/phonology requirements of skilled reading
Reflect and Connect
What makes the classic approaches to teaching reading ineffective for nearly one third of students learning to read? If your school is using a curriculum that is based on one of these classic philosophies, how might you supplement your instruction to reach your struggling readers?